Monday, December 10, 2012

I love the government!


I love government.  I love that there is this beautiful structure that allows us to have some say, in the best way it can today, to affect change for everyone.  Its not perfect.  Its quite flawed.  Are there ways to change it, absolutely, but we all know it takes the energy and commitment that is far beyond what most of us have or want to offer. 

When I was 22, I told my mom I wasn’t voting.  Done.  Its not like it matters; its not important; its not like the candidate I believe in is going to win or even make a difference.  My mom would have none of it.  We didn’t get along in the first place, but over the phone she reminded me that at the beginning of the century, I wouldn’t have been allowed to vote.  There were people who fought to make this an option for me, to make it possible for me to even have an opinion in an election or on the political forefront.  And some of those people died trying to give me that right and give me that opportunity to have an opinion.  What she didn’t say, I have learned since and was re-conveyed yesterday in the leadership class. 

Its not just about voting.  If you want to be angry at the system and you want the system to change, put forth the energy.  Do something! By doing nothing, we stand by and let the things we don’t like continue to happen.  Not participating is a way to be complacent in the system.  Its not a boycott.  You aren’t sending a message.  It doesn’t change what you don’t like or change your selection of candidates.  Tim Eyman, whether you agree with most of his measures or not, is making change he believes in.  He is working in the system to make things better, as he sees them.  Do I agree with half of what he puts forth?  No.  Does that matter?  No.  Because that is what this system is about.  I think Seth Dawson said had the most beautiful quote of the day, “Democracy is just a substitute for civil war.”  It may not always work and it may be a game that makes us crazy, but if you want something to change, start working to change it.  Use the system to your benefit and what you feel with benefit others.  Put forth the energy, take the time, and make it change.  It can be as simple as calling your elected officials, as complicated as crafting an initiative or as stressful as running for office.  Your choice….but do something.  That’s what I took away during yesterday’s class, and it reminded me how much I love living in the United States.

No comments: