Friday, December 7, 2012

Go Forth and Advocate


Be honest: How many of you had the “I’m Just a Bill” song dancing in your head during Seth Dawson’s presentation? Yeah, I thought so.

I tend to struggle with the issue of “lobbying”. I work for a federally funded organization so we are not allowed to “Use Corporation resources or use the Corporation name for lobbying or political purposes, or [here we go] engage in such activity during employee’s assigned working hours.” I am, however, permitted to engage in such activities on my personal time but, by the time I get home, the last thing on my mind is to email my representatives regarding any good cause I might be passionate about. Yet I still am a big fan of the democratic system and believe participation goes far beyond voting on Election Day and occasional dinner conversations.

With that in mind, here’s a question: Do you know the name of your Federal representatives? (Murray, Cantwell, (mine) DelBene) How about your State representatives? (Hill/Goodman/Springer) But more importantly, at least I believe so; do you know the name of your mayor? (Mine is Bernie…) City council members? (Um…)

Now, back the issue of lobbying or better yet, advocacy. Advocacy? This, for me, is a manageable way for all of us to lobby. A few years back, I attended a conference workshop on Advocacy facilitated by Stephanie Vance (http://www.advocacyguru.com/). She presented some great tips on working with your representatives (federal, state or LOCAL). Here are a few highlights (in my own words):

1. You may be passionate, but… : Who’s to say anyone else shares your views? Your representative can become passionate about your cause if you make it personal to them. For example, let’s say they have a dog named Ozzie. Your initiative promotes animal rights. You might say, “A vote for our initiative is a vote for Ozzie!"
2. Sound-bites: We live in a sound-bite era. Don’t drone on! Get your point across in a minute or less. If they want more, they’ll ask. When meeting elected officials (on my own time…) I’ll usually say, “Thank you for your efforts on ‘Workforce Development’”. That’s all. But many will stop and chat.
3. Repetition: Like washing your hair – Wash, rinse, repeat. Memorize your one-sentence-sound-bite-mantra. Say it to your elected official. Repeat each time you meet them.

I was inspired by “Government & Public Affairs Day”. I’m going to stop by next week’s City Council meeting in the People's Republic of Woodinville. 

No comments: