Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Government, for the people

The first time I voted was 1976, I was 18.  In 1973 (I think) the voting age was lowered to 18 and by golly, I was going to vote because it was my right.

I've only missed 1 election since then and it was a minor one.  I love that we in this country can make a difference.  At the local, county, state and national level.  I find it so sad that there are so many folks out there who don't vote!  And their excuse is that it doesn't matter, their vote doesn't matter.  So they don't care.

It so impressed me that every one of the speakers in our Government Day told us... we care about what you think, call me, email me... we are here to serve you.  So while we think they don't have any inkling what "the people" want, if we let them know, they will listen.

I also think they want all to get involved.  If you don't like something in your community, county, state or the nation, speak up!  You can start small but if you have a point to make, make it.  That is the beauty of our country, we all have a voice.  And we shouldn't be afraid to use it!

No comments: