Monday, December 8, 2008

Great Public Policy Day

Having worked for elected officials in the past, I was very anxious to see how the Washington process works. The speakers shared a lot of great information with us. It was fascinating to hear about things from the Native American point of view because it is clear to me that there are a lot of opportunities for improvement in that area.

I was very impressed with the great questions posed by all my fellow classmates. They are very informed on the issues. I came there to listen and learn because I am still trying to figure out how things really work around Snohomish County. Having lived in 3 states in the past 4 years, I find myself comparing the way things are there to the way things are here. To me this is an advantage in some aspects but a marked disadvantage in other ways. One of the biggest lessons I learned is that it really makes a difference when you do not live directly in the state capital of any state. I feel so out of the loop. I know that I have a lot of learning to do because if I plan to be a strong leader and agent of change then I need to know about the current issues and the way this government works so I can be an informed citizen.

Thank you Leadership Snohomish County for providing such great speakers.

No comments: